National News

Vets save sight of dog with stick embedded in eye socket

today3 May 2021 3

share close

Vets save sight of dog with stick embedded in eye socket

Mia the Collie is now back to full health

Vets have saved the sight of a dog who got a stick embedded in her eye socket.

The owners of Mia the collie feared the six-year-old had lost her eye when she emerged from playing in a hedge with a 5cm stick poking from the socket.

Her local vet in Doune, in the Stirling area, quickly referred Mia to the specialist ophthalmology service at the University of Edinburgh’s Hospital for Small Animals at the Royal (Dick) School for Veterinary Studies.

Vets there performed a CT scan to evaluate where the stick was and how much damage it had caused to Mia’s eye.

The scan images revealed the stick was still in one piece and lodged just above the eye, and vets were able to carefully remove the object without the need for an invasive operation, leaving Mia with only a superficial scratch on her eye.

After flushing the area with fluids to make sure there were no remaining fragments, Mia was able to walk out of the clinic unaided and has suffered no long-term damage to her sight.

The vets who treated Mia are delighted with her recovery.

Published: by Radio NewsHub

Written by: ES1

Rate it

Previous post

National News

Good chance one metre plus rule can be ditched on June 21 says Johnson

There is a “good chance” the one-metre plus rule for social distancing can be ditched next month, Boris Johnson said. Mr Johnson said he feels like the next stage of reopening on May 17 – which covers indoor hospitality, entertainment and possibly foreign travel – “is going to be good”. One industry chief has said a return to unrestricted trading for hospitality from June 21 is “critical” and will mean firms can “come off life support”. The comments from Kate […]

today3 May 2021

Similar posts

Post comments (0)

Leave a reply