Was first opened on 28th February 1828 with a performance of ‘The Belle’s Stratagem’. The theatre was one of thirteen designed and built across East Anglia by David Fisher, serving the circuit of Fisher’s company, ‘The Norfolk and Suffolk Company of Comedians’.
Fisher’s company, which was to a great extent made up of members of his own talented family, would visit each theatre in turn for two months, putting on a series of highly professional productions. They would then move onto the next town in the circuit, returning two years later.
The resurrection of this ‘house of entertainment’ has been a long story in itself. Bungay Arts and Theatre Society (BATS) was formed in 1995 by five local residents convinced that the town needed an Arts Centre, and that to establish one would also help regenerate this ancient market town.
One of the latest addtions to the theatre – is the chance for youngsters to take part in free workshops on Saturdays.
The Fisher is working with Reflex Theatre until the summer to host these training programmes, where details can be found here.
Listen now to Callan Durrant talk to East Suffolk One about the ‘Head Start’ workshops:
Written by: admin